This is for you, Bart!

This blog, and the adventure it describes, are dedicated to my friend, co-worker and fellow adventure lover, Bart.
Bart would prefer to be riding his Moto Guzzi down a scenic road,
but unfortunately he is limited by health issues.


My hat (helmet) is off to you, my friend, and I hope you will get some enjoyment from
reading about my little adventure until you are well enough to get back to planning your own.

Cheers,
Rick.
============================================================================================================

comments

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.

- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.

- Robert Frost

================================================================================

Thursday, May 1, 2014

More DV

I camped at the Texas Springs campsite in Furnace Creek.
An appropriate name except it isn't in Texas and there are no springs.
 
 
I noticed that the entire campground will be closed starting today - they close every summer due to the temperatures. The lady at the restaurant said you can sleep in a tent in the summer and wake up in the night with heat stroke.
 
I rode out of the valley to see it from above - a place called "Dante's View".
 
The views were spectacular, and as the saying goes, the photos don't do it justice. The valley floor is 282 feet below sea level and the overlook is 5500 feet above sea level.
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
I also took a short hike up a narrow gulch called Golden Canyon.
 

 


 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. You are getting to see some very nice areas.Pictures are great.How are you holding up with the heat?
    Take care and enjoy....................John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, John!
    I've been very fortunate with the heat (after Death Valley). It has been up around 90 across the NV deserts and sometimes in the 60's when I climb to higher elevations. Mid-day Las Vegas traffic jams weren't any fun though. I was eager to leave after a few looooong red lights on the strip.
    Thanks for following along!
    Rick.

    ReplyDelete